2021 Mascara Bundanon Writers Residency
In partnership with the Bundanon Trust, the inaugural Mascara Bundanon Writer’s residency is now open for submissions. This is an exciting opportunity for an emerging or established First Nations or CaLD writer with an innovative project that pushes their writing craft into new expressive and conceptual territory. Applications can be for a project in poetry, fiction, non-fiction, scriptwriting, graphic novel/spoken word or in criticism. The winner receives a two week residency at Bundanon, a stipend of $1,000 and a manuscript reading to be arranged with Ultimo Press. This is a chance to immerse in the layered landscape and history of Bundanon, a place of renewal, where new relationships to country, history and creative practices are formed.
We thank the Wodi Wodi and Yuin people for their care of and connection to land, culture and community.
Date of the Residency: 23rd August to 5th September (14 days. in the Freedman accommodation/studio)
Timeline and assessment
Judges: The 2021 judges are Brian Castro and Declan Fry. They will jointly select a winning writer from a shortlist.
- Fill out the online entry form with your name, address, email
- Supporting documentation: we require a sample work of up to 3000 words; a brief project description of up to a page; and a bio. Please upload into a single file.
- Uploaded documents must be saved in either PDF or Word Doc formats.
Terms & Conditions
Applications must be made online.
Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents (currently living in Australia).
Applicants must be aged 18 or over.
Applicants identify as First Nations or as CaLD writers.
Where relevant, activities must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing(link is external).
- Sample work must be the original work of the applicant
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
All recipients agree to comply with public health restrictions before, during, and following travel to Bundanon.
- The recipient agrees to follow Covid-19 safety protocols whilst in residency and further, any Covid-19 related quarantine costs that may be incurred if traveling interstate.
The recipient will be required to acknowledge the Mascara Bundanon Writer’s Residency in any promotion or publication resulting from the work supported during the activity.